Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Bedwell Bayfront Park 2015-04-29


I had passed by Bedwell Bayfront Park in Menlo Park a couple of days ago as part of my SF Bay Walkabout. The park sounded interesting so I was back there today with Apollo to check it out - and am I glad did! The park is located off the Marsh Rd exit from Hwy 101 / Bayfront Expwy. With plenty of parking in three separate lots, I doubt that anyone would ever have to turn back because of parking issues.




We started out by doing the perimeter loop around the park. This 2.3 mile loop is a flat trail, partly dirt and partly paved. This segment is also part of the San Francisco Bay Trail. When we started the hike, it was cool and cloudy, but the sun was out by the time we finished the perimeter loop. 



If that were it, the hike would have been quick, easy, and somewhat dry. Fortunately, the park also has several smaller trail segments across the small hill around which the perimeter trail runs. Apollo and I decided to experiment on as many of these trails as possible. 




We first came up on a hobby helicopter pilot who didn't mind me taking a photo of his toy. In fact, he was kind enough to get the helicopter close enough to me and keep it steady, allowing me to take some good photos. 



There is also three-fourths of a mile-long trail called Great Spirit Path. When Bedwell Park was created, a local artist designed this section. The easiest way for me to describe this is: an American woman's interpretation of Native American pictographs with a poem and stone formations promoting harmony within oneself and with nature. Apollo enjoyed the walk; I enjoyed the poem and the stone formations and history behind this unique presentation. 



Capping the hike today was an opportunity to meet my good friend, Robin, who drove by from the office to meet me and Apollo. Apollo was glad to meet her, as was she to meet him. He put on a fine show for her that involved posing for photographs, demonstrating his running ability and then some!




We ended up doing 5.4 miles in about 100 minutes. Since the trail is predominantly exposed, I'd recommend hiking it when it is cool outside - early mornings on hot days.

Pictures from the hike today.
#Hiking #HikingWithDogs #BedwellBayfrontPark #SFBayTrail








No comments:

Post a Comment