Monday, September 28, 2015

Mission Peak (sunset, fullmoon from Ohlone college) 2015-09-27

My fifth hike to the peak this year, third from Ohlone college trail head. This was definitely a special hike with the astronomical calendar full of unique events unfolding: a full moon that happens to be a super moon and a lunar eclipse that would show up as a blood moon. Leaving Apollo behind for this venture, I did an evening hike up to the peak to see the sunset and observe the lunar phenomenon. 


It was a muggy start to the hike, the temperature was in the low 80s with heavy cloud cover. I took the same route as with the previous two occasions from this trail head - Peak trail that climbs steadily up the hills and subsequently running parallel to Mills Creek Rd providing a nice shade cover. There was heavy traffic with lots of people making their way up, although there were just couple of them with their dogs. 


I had reached the open meadow where the main approach from Stanford Ave, Ohlone Wilderness trail meets the Peak trail from Ohlone college around 6 pm. I decided to approach the peak from the far side and in the process hike Grove Moore trail that I have not done thus far. This meant going down couple of hundred feet before Grove Moore trail starts ascending again.  


Western Sky
The additional climb was rewarded with a break from the crowds. For the next 1/2 hour, as I approached the peak hiking by Grove Moore, Horse Heaven and Peak trails, I didn't meet any other hiker. To boot, the sun had broken free from the clouds and there were several excellent views of the mountains and the valleys on either side of Mission Peak swathed with the orange red hue of the setting sun. 


Eastern Sky
I took a longish break at the top enjoying the beautiful sunset. The lingering clouds on the western sky took on a red hue that progressively darkened as the sun set making it a breathtaking experience. 

Unfortunately, the clouds on the eastern sky were so thick that I couldn't see the rise of the super moon. The moon did break free from the cloud couple of times during the eclipse - offering us the blood moon face.

With the twilight fading, moon eclipsed and behind clouds most of the time, I had to descend in the dark with the aid of a flash light. The valley was covered with lights against the fading light. Being familiar with this trail definitely helped, something I would recommend as a pre-requisite to those intending to do a night hike. 



The blood moon that eluded me at the peak showed up as a bright super moon at the foot hill, in the final stages of the eclipse.






My hike today involved climbing 2300+ feet covering more than 8 miles, albeit with a long break at the peak. Having climbed this bay area favorite through all possible approaches, I will give Mission Peak a rest for rest of the year. 

Here are some more pictures from my hike.
#Hiking #MissionPeak #EBRPD #SuperMoonHike 





No comments:

Post a Comment